A ride on the footplate of one of our steam locomotives is a feast for the senses. Experience the rhythmic sound of the cylinders, the heat from the firebox, and the unmistakable aroma of a steam locomotive at work.
You’ll be welcomed onto the footplate by our experienced driver and fireman, who’ll show you how the locomotive works, and the subtle art of keeping the engine running smoothly. After the guard has blown his whistle and given the right away you’ll be off down the line enjoying the best view on the railway.
This experience includes a full round-trip on the line – duration around 1 hour.
Whatever the special occasion, a footplate experience will create memories to last a lifetime.
Availability: Any day when trains are running
PLEASE NOTE: The experience is limited to one person only per scheduled train journey, and needs to be booked a minimum of 1 month in advance using the contact information on the voucher.
What you need to know for this experience:
- You must be in good health and reasonably fit (i.e. able to climb on and off the locomotives from the ground).
- Please arrive at Havenstreet station 30 mins before your departure time. One of our team will be on hand to welcome you and give you a short safety briefing.
- Please wear sturdy footwear and clothing that fully covers your arms and legs.
- Do not attend the experience under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Locomotives cannot be specified for this experience and are subject to availability.